Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Another Year, Another Cold

It never fails, I always get sick for my birthday. I know it isn't until tomorrow, but with how i am feeling now, I already know I will be sick for sure. I hate that. Anyway, been stressed lately. Our picks for our next station are not really what I'd like them to be. But I really like the idea of going to Kodiak next. I know, right? Andrea wants to stay in Alaska?! It's true and here's why:

  1. I am used to the economy here. I fear if we moved down south I wont know how to live right.
  2. I feel safer here. Granted, Alaska is a lot larger then anywhere else in the US, but its smaller communities and both Ketchikan and Kodiak are islands. I mean, someone could steal my car, but they aren't going far with it.
  3. Higher education levels. I swear I've never seen such strict elementary schools and I hear the same is true for Kodiak. I am quite excited that my children are getting a great head start on their educations.
  4. I'm already here! I have seen a lot of lists of people who have served in the Coast Guard, and almost everyone sees Alaska once, but what surprised me is how many saw it second and/or third times! and later in their careers. I am here NOW! I'd like to stick it out if I can.
  5. The real kicker! The MONEY! Not just Garen's added income but like the PFD and such as well. I just can't turn my back on that kind of free money.

However, I am not sure we will be able to stay in Alaska. Garen received an email from his detailer basically telling us that we MUST pick a cutter. The only one out of Alaska Garen can serve on is the USCGC Munro, out of Kodiak. And sadly, they filled that billet a week earlier. I'm not sure what to do now. We are priority 4, which doesn't sound like much but most ITs are P5.

On an unrelated note I have been working on my school work. I've got a couple of large projects coming up that might take some time to complete. Also I have been teaching myself to sew. I started a little bitty wall quilt that is turning out quite nicely. The next step is to take on something bigger. I'll let you know how that goes.

Anyway, I am not feeling well, so I'm going to go chill on the couch for a bit and pester hubby to entertain me. So until next time....

Andrea

No comments: